Log in | My Account | Basket Twitter Facebook LinkedInAdvanced Search
H 290 x W 205 mm
Published Dec 2020
building history; buildings archaeology; reconstruction; architecture; spatial analysis; household archaeology
Edited by Göran Tagesson, Per Cornell, Mark Gardiner, Liz Thomas, Katherine Weikert
This volume examines how people have been making, using and transforming buildings and built environments, and how buildings have been perceived, from the Byzantine period to modern times. It also considers a diversity of built constructions – including dwellings and public buildings, sheds and manor houses, and secular and sacral structures.
1. Reidun Marie Aasheim, Finn-Einar Eliassen and Marianne Johansson - The house that turned around and the street that wasn't: A cross-disciplinary study of the metamorphosis of the centre of a small town, c. 1680–1760.
2. Gunnar Almevik and Jonathan Westin - Entering Hemse. Enacting the assemblage of a twelfth-century Gotlandic stave-church.
3. Anna Bergman - Boundaries between private and public space in medieval and early modern Stockholm, c.1350–1700.
4. Linn Willetts Borgen - Constructing Sacredness: The Stave Technique as Architectural Memory in Early Modern Norway.
5. Jeroen Bouwmeester - Building in Stone: a brief introduction to the development of the use of stone as a building material in the Netherlands between 1000 and 1400 AD.
6. Per Cornell and Adriana Velázquez Morlet - Time, Built Space and the Question of the Household in the Case of Ecab, Quintana Roo, Mexico: Maya Settlement Organization in the Late Postclassic period.
7. Gunilla Gardelin - Reuse in wooden architecture.
8. Antoinette Huijbers - Re-assembling domestic environments: A relational–habitus approach in studying the individuality, commonalities, continuity and change of medieval buildings.
9. Sarah Kerr - Ambition and Architecture: a study of medieval lodging ranges.
10. Linda Qviström - Windows and light in medieval buildings on Gotland.
11. Miriam Steinborn - The hidden world behind simple structures.
12. Göran Tagesson - Poor Widow Catharina Bergstedt, What Now? On Houses, Gender and Agency in Early Modern Swedish Towns.
13. Liz Thomas - St Joseph’s Church – the peoples’ heartland.
Biography of the authors